11.2 RAC issue: 2nd instance won't start via srvctl

I encountered a very weird issue in Oracle on 11.2 RAC that I couldn't find any reference to on Metalink.  The issue occurred after I created a RAC database, registered it to CRS manually, started it up via srvctl. Everything was working fine up to this point.  The problem arose when I stopped and restarted the database with srvctl; only the first instance would start successfully.  The second instance wouldn't start due to this error:

CRS-2664: Resource 'ora.asm' is already running on 'node_name'

This was very strange because the instance would start just fine if I used sqlplus.  After further research amongst my colleagues and me, we found that there was an uncommented line in the /etc/hosts file that was causing the issue.  The line was:

::1   localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

After having the SA comment this line out and bounce the second node that was having the problem starting the second instance, the second instances were started and restarted successfully via srvctl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RMAN-10038: database session for channel prm3 terminated unexpectedly

ORA-17630: Mismatch in the remote file protocol version client 2 server 3

ORA-00338: log {n} of thread {n} is more recent than control file